Saturday, February 14, 2009

I Doa Need No Steenkin' Shad!

I decided I would stay below the Benjamin Harrison Bridge all day.  I've been having issues with my automatic tilt and trim, and have been forced to manually adjust it.  When launching, I had the motor set a little too low and tore my prop and skeg up pretty good. 

I set the gill net twice and it yielded me two cutters.  I said enough and went to fish with what I had and in the meantime set my net about 100 yards upriver of me.  Well, I fished the hole for 30 minutes and pulled a 38# in.  He was pulling drag at will and I thought I finally had me a 60, but it was still a fun fish!

37.85# - 40":

I then went to retrieve my net, and it was HEAVY.  Reports of the shads' demise are greatly exaggerated!  I kept only the ones hooked in the gills and/or bleeding, which amounted to 3/4 of a 5 gallon bucket full.  And counted all that I released which was 55.  So I had probably 80-90 from that set of my gill net.  I know it's a good idea to stay with your net, but when bait was as slow as it was that morning, I thought I would come back to just a handful of cutters and catfish.


I contnued fishing between Benjamin Harrison and Flowerdew, and got two other good takedowns but no hookups.  Got off the water at 4pm and headed for home. 

Final tally for the day:  37.85#-40"

0 comments:

  © Blogger template 'Totally Lost' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP